Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cats On Tuesday--Manipulative Purrs


It came as no surprise to read the Discovery post about cat's manipulative purrs titled "Cats Use Special Purr to Manipulate Humans". All of us cat women/men know this one, right???

Here's the link in case you missed it. I twittered about it right away because I was so amused!

Link to Special Purr to Manipulate Humans

It's this one paragraph which really says it all:

"Cats have about the right size of vocal folds to produce a cry that is similar to a baby's, so there is a coincidental element," explained McComb. "In fact, the meow can sound remarkably like a crying child, which will be particularly effective with humans."

This is how Ms. Queenie Anela works my partner....it's his instinct to take care of a baby.

However, since I'm the Alpha Cat in our home, I'm onto her baby-sounding-meow, and she can't work me like she does him.

And do your cats manipulate you?

If you'd like to follow me on Twitter, here's the link. I tend to hang out there more these days.

8 comments:

katztales said...

I saw that too and am amazed someone paid for this research to discover "the unknown" facts of purring. Jeez, why not just as a cat lover? Bet you've got some stylish purrs sweetie!

Gattina said...

Mr. Gattino is the slave of the cats but really ! He wouldn't even sit on the sofa if a cat sits on his place. Each time somebody says a little meauw, he jumps to check if there is food ! sometimes he drives me crazy ! I love my cats too, but I am not their slaves, I am more the cat mum !
This Twitter thing starts to interest me. Can you explain it a little more in an email ?
I don't like Facebook, I had to subscribe to see the pictures my son had taken in Iceland and suddenly I have 73 (at least) people on my baskets who want to be my friend ! I have no time for that ! They recognized me under my real name ! I was stupid I had put the same picture of me, lol !

tramadol said...

I love cats! Just like humans, cats use their voice in varying sounds and degrees to express many different things.

penisvergr├Â├čerung said...

Really, I had no idea. Well it does not work on me as I just get scarred of them:)

health insurance said...

amazing story about the cats.so much work done on cats and behaviour of the cats....

Jelly said...

Thank you for the interesting post. It made me smile.

download video drivers said...

cats are cute. i do really like cat.
thanks for sharing.

Time Piece Trader said...

very cool this king of blog. thank you